Spring is the perfect time to freshen up your home, but did you know you can make spring cleaning more effective and enjoyable by cleaning with vanilla extract? Not only does vanilla have a delicious, sweet, and pleasant aroma, but it also has cleansing properties that can help you tackle those tough microwave stains and […]
Spring is the perfect time to freshen up your home, but did you know you can make spring cleaning more effective and enjoyable by cleaning with vanilla extract? Not only does vanilla have a delicious, sweet, and pleasant aroma, but it also has cleansing properties that can help you tackle those tough microwave stains and make your home smell like your favorite vanilla baked goods. From kitchen counters to dirty microwaves and smelly rooms, here are some surprising ways to clean with vanilla extract.
How to Clean with Vanilla Extract
- Make a Scented Surface Cleaner
- Freshen Up Your Microwave
- Clean a Smelly Garbage Disposal
- DIY Vanilla Air Freshener
- Make Vanilla Scented Room Mist
- Make a Vanilla Simmer Pot
- Freshen Up the Room with the Flick of a Light
How to Spring Clean With Vanilla Extract
Make a Scented Surface Cleaner
If you’re looking for a natural and pleasant-smelling cleaner, vanilla extract is a great option. Here’s a simple guide to making a scented cleaner with vanilla extract:
- Gather your materials: You’ll need a sponge and 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Make sure you’re using a pure vanilla extract rather than imitation vanilla.
- Pour the vanilla extract onto the sponge: Squeeze a few drops of vanilla extract directly onto the sponge. If you’re using a larger sponge, you may need more vanilla.
- Use the sponge to clean surfaces: You can use the vanilla-scented sponge to clean your countertops, sink, microwave, inside of the fridge, kitchen cabinets, or any other smooth surfaces that needs cleaning. Wet the sponge and scrub the surface as you normally would.
- Rinse the sponge: After cleaning, rinse the sponge thoroughly with water to remove any residue.
That’s it! Your vanilla-scented cleaner is ready to use. It’s important to note that while using pure vanilla extract is safe for cleaning, you shouldn’t use it as a disinfectant. You’ll need to use a different disinfecting product to kill germs and bacteria.
Freshen Up a Smelly Microwave
If you used the scented cleaner on your microwave, but it’s still smelling funky, using vanilla extract is a great way to freshen it up and make it smell nice. Here’s a short guide on how to use vanilla extract to freshen up a smelly microwave:
- Gather your materials: You’ll need 1-2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract and a microwave-safe bowl.
- Pour the vanilla: pour 1-2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract into the bowl.
- Microwave: Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 30-60 seconds. This should be enough time to let the vanilla extract release its fragrance and fill the microwave with a sweet, pleasant aroma.
- Allow the scent to permeate: After heating the vanilla extract, leave the bowl in the microwave for a few minutes to let the smell permeate the inside.
- Remove the bowl: Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and discard the vanilla extract.
- Wipe down the microwave: Wipe the inside with a damp cloth to remove any residual odor and leave your microwave smelling fresh and clean.
Using vanilla extract to freshen up a smelly microwave is a simple and effective way to eliminate unpleasant odors.
Eliminate the Smell of a Dirty Garbage Disposal
A smelly garbage disposal can make your entire home smell like old food, and that’s never good. If you’re dealing with a smelly garbage disposal, using vanilla extract can be an easy and effective way to freshen it up. Here’s a short guide on how to do it:
- Gather your ingredients: You’ll need an ice cube tray, some orange or lemon peels, vanilla extract, and any other complementary ingredients you’d like to use (such as cinnamon or other citrus fruits).
- Fill the ice cube tray: Place one orange peel and a drop or two of vanilla extract into each spot in the ice cube tray. Add any other ingredients you’d like to use, then fill the tray with water and freeze until solid.
- Use the ice cubes: Once frozen, place a few in the garbage disposal and run it until the ice is completely gone. This will help freshen up the disposal and sharpen the blades.
- Repeat as necessary: Depending on how smelly your garbage disposal is, you may need to repeat this process a few times. You can also use these ice cubes regularly to keep your disposal smelling fresh.
Cleaning with vanilla extract is a great natural alternative to harsh chemical cleaners, leaving a pleasant scent behind. So the next time you’re dealing with a smelly garbage disposal, try using this ice cube trick to freshen it up.
DIY Air Freshener
Making a vanilla-scented air freshener with cotton balls, vanilla extract, and a small bowl is a quick and easy DIY project that can help freshen up your home with a natural and pleasant fragrance. Here’s how you can make one:
- Cotton balls
- Vanilla extract
- Small bowl
- Find a Container: Choose a small bowl you don’t mind using for your air freshener. It can be made of glass, ceramic, or any other material that can hold liquid.
- Gather Cotton Balls: Take a few cotton balls and place them in the bowl. Ensure the bowl is not too full so there’s some space for the fragrance to spread.
- Add Vanilla: Add a few drops of vanilla extract to each cotton ball. You can adjust the amount of vanilla extract depending on how strong you want the fragrance to be. A good starting point is about 5-10 drops.
- Place in the Room of Choice: Place the bowl in the room you want to freshen up. You can put it on a shelf, table, or any other stable surface that won’t spill.
- Replace Cotton Balls: Replace the cotton balls and add more vanilla extract as needed. The fragrance will last a few days to a week, depending on the room size.
- If you don’t have a small bowl, use a mason jar, a teacup, or any other container that holds liquid.
- Add more vanilla extract, or use more cotton balls for a more potent fragrance.
- Keep the air freshener out of reach of children and pets, as vanilla extract can be harmful if ingested.
Make a Vanilla Scented Room Mist
This next spring cleaning with vanilla extract hack will make any room in your house smell like freshly baked vanilla cupcakes. It can also replace air fresheners with chemicals we can’t pronounce! Follow these steps to make a vanilla-scented room mist:
- Gather your ingredients: To make this room mist, you will need; 1-3 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract, a cup of distilled water, and a spray bottle.
- Fill the spray bottle: Add water and vanilla extract, shake it well to combine the ingredients, and let the vanilla infuse with the water.
- Spray the mist: Spray the mist around the room to create a vanilla-scented atmosphere that will remind you of a fresh batch of cookies.
Note: You can adjust the amount of vanilla extract based on your preference for a stronger or milder scent. Also, shake the bottle before each use to ensure the ingredients are well-mixed.
Vanilla Simmer Pots
A simmer pot is a type of home fragrance method that involves simmering water, aromatic ingredients, and other ingredients on a stovetop or in a slow cooker. The mixture is heated gently, allowing the aroma to slowly release into the air and fill your home with a pleasant fragrance. Follow our steps below for a vanilla simmer pot that will leave your home smelling like your favorite local bakery!
- Fill a pot with water: Fill a small saucepan with 2 cups of water and place it on the stove over medium heat.
- Add pure vanilla extract: Add 1-2 tablespoons of vanilla extract to the water.
- Choose your complementary ingredients: Add other complementary ingredients to the pot. We’d recommend orange or other citrus peels, cinnamon, ginger, rosemary, or pumpkin spice.
- Stir and let simmer: Stir the ingredients to combine them and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and enjoy the aroma: Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for up to 2 hours, adding more water as needed.
Enjoy the beautiful aroma that fills your home. This simmer pot can be stored in the refrigerator and used again for up to 3 days.
Indulge in the sweet Scent of Vanilla with the Flick of a Light
Our last spring cleaning with vanilla extract hack involves lightbulbs (yes, you read that right). Putting a small amount of vanilla extract on a lightbulb is an easy way to make the room smell nice without using synthetic candles. It’s very important to be cautious when handling electrical equipment or hot lightbulbs. Here is a step-by-step guide to doing it safely:
- Gather your materials: For this spring cleaning hack, you will need some cotton swabs, vanilla, and a lightbulb/lamp.
- Turn off the light bulb: Turn off the light and allow the bulb to cool completely. You don’t want to put the vanilla on an already hot bulb.
- Dip a cotton swab in vanilla: Dip a cotton swab in vanilla extract. If you want a milder smell, pour some vanilla into a bowl and dilute it with water before dipping the cotton swab.
- Apply vanilla to the light: Use the wet cotton swab carefully to apply the extract to the lightbulb. Use a small towel to wipe any excess liquid off the lightbulb. Then, let the lightbulb dry entirely.
- Turn on the lights: Turn on the lights and enjoy the sweet aroma of vanilla that fills the room.
Note: It’s important to remember that vanilla extract is flammable, so never apply it to a hot or turned-on lightbulb. Also, be cautious not to use too much vanilla extract as it may cause the bulb to smoke or emit a burning smell. Start with a small amount and gradually add more if necessary.
Enjoy a Clean and Great Smelling Home
Vanilla extract is a versatile and practical ingredient that keeps your home fresh and clean. From removing unpleasant odors to cleaning surfaces and adding a pleasant scent, this natural and non-toxic cleaner is an excellent alternative to harsh chemicals. So next time you clean your home, try incorporating vanilla extract into your routine and enjoy its many benefits. Your home will smell wonderful, and you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’re using a safe and environmentally friendly cleaning solution.
Are you eager to explore the endless possibilities of vanilla and elevate your baking game to new heights? Look no further than our monthly newsletter, a treasure trove of delectable recipes, insider baking tips, and other delightful vanilla-related tidbits. Join our community of vanilla enthusiasts today and immerse yourself in the rich and aromatic vanillaverse!